heat's impact on egg-laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wizbop, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I have 3 RIR's and only one is laying. They are 24 weeks. We've been getting eggs from one for about 2 weeks now. One of my other girls is squatting, so I think she's getting closer. We live in NC and these girls are HOT! It's been in the upper 90's for weeks and they pant a LOT! I give them cool treats when I can. They have plenty of access to shade, free range and have nice clean cool water. Can the heat impact their initial egg-laying?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The heat does impact them in several ways.

Water intact will increase alot, but on the other side feed intake normally goes down. The lower amounts of feed can reduce the amount of eggs and the reduced protein can reduce egg size.

The flat out STRESS from the heat can make them go off cycle. Wait till we finally get a break for a week or so and they will start laying again, at least mine do.

Matt

3. lilblessings5

lilblessings5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    Illinois
    My girls quit laying as well. Its been in the 90+ with very few breaks from the heat for about 5 weeks now. I was getting 2 dozen a day, now I'm lucky to get 3 or 4. Just trying to keep them cool and hope they survive a few more days. Suppose to cool of on sunday.

4. verlaj

verlaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    My brown egg layers essentially quit laying until the last few days, but the EEs have kept right on, no problem! If you are in a hot climate and want eggs in summer, I say go with EEs!

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Mine lay just fine in this southeast texas heat.

6. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Mine also slowed laying since the temps past 90, can't wait for it to cool a bit, this is frustrating. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by