heatstroke, lost stink eye pete.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 3goodeggs, Jun 16, 2010.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    sniff.
    Just a reminder that It is really hot in some parts of the country. I don't know what else we could have done,It is too late for her. but watch out for yourselves. That sweet girl may have saved my life. Yes, heat stroke is real. It does happen and it can happen to us big birds as well. Be careful. stay hydrated get in the shade...if you feel sleepy, go inside! cool down, take a cold shower. be careful.
    r.i.p s.e.p. (whom I called 'sweetie'.)

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Aw, man. So sorry to hear of your loss. Tough way to go. [​IMG]

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Very sad. [​IMG]
    I hope folks heed your advice for their birds too - there is much info on this site about how to keep them cool - but a big challenge it is when the stinkin' heat is over the moon.
    When heat index in NJ reaches triple digits for more than a brief period, my feather-kids get hauled into the house. Works when one only has a few birds but would be a fiasco for folks with dozens!
    I am very sorry about s.e.p.
    JJ

4. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ack! Sorry about double post. System hiccuped.
    JJ

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  5. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    So sorry you lost sweetie [​IMG] . This heat is AWFUL! I hope your warning is a reminder to those who deal with intense heat! Today it was 102-110 with the heat index here...ice in waterers, wet down run, dug a hole, fan going with ice in front of it...and they were still panting. You know it is hot when they stand directly in front of the fan...

So difficult to lose any pet...I am sorry..

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So sorry. It was a scorcher here today too. I was really worried about the silkies but I have an oscillating fan up in the rafters blowing down on them all day. With the shade it seems to help. I don't worry as much about my free range girls...they seems to be able to find lots of shady spots and get real quiet during the day.

We need to get the frozen bottles in there PDQ...

Again, so sorry about losing your girl.....

7. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I so sorry about you loss. [​IMG] You all have given others a lot of good ideas for cooling off. Fans. wading pools, frozen bottles, shade, shade. shade. misting.
    Even though I live in a cool wet place, I thank you all for great experiential advice.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    my silkie mushmouse got heatstroke today. I dunked her in water and dried her and she's in my laundry room and I'm at work. I hope she's okay when I get home

9. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hope so too. [​IMG]

Alarming, the extreme heat this year. We're going into another 5 day heat wave. Tomorrow and Monday 100+ heat index for sure. Have lost count of how many times in 2010 already even up here in NJ and summer is technically only 5 days upon us.

JJ

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Well I got home and she is very much improved, with interest in food. Yes silkies are heat sensitive,
    I think I'll just put her out at night so she can be with her family, but keep her in during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by