1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heavies...Cochins?..and other breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NanaKat, Mar 15, 2009.

1. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

These two cuties were purchased with a mix of Austrolorps, NHR, BR, Minorcas and something called Ideal 236 Leghorns.
    [​IMG]

Then this baby doesn't seem to be Aussie, BR or Minorca. Any ideas?
    The feathers coming in are black with a little brown streak in each feather. Her face is brown. Also seen in "group picture" below
    [​IMG]

The Ideal 236 Leghorns appear to have some brown and black feathers...is this typical?[​IMG]

Here are some photos of the rest of this brood....totals 43 which include the only one I hatched which is an EE cross.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I am guessing barred cochin? I had some, but don't really remember what they looked like that young. And I dont know about the others

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I can't really tell the color from the picture, but it looks like a blue cochin.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Blue or black cochins for those two and the lone black one with the red around the face, is that the one you were talking about? If so, it is not an Aussie for sure but not sure what it is...a brown leghorn maybe?

Go to Ideals website and look around I think they have baby pictures with the breeds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by