1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heavily Bloodstained Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pgpoultry, Jan 29, 2011.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My 22 week old NN pullet has behaved oddly all day, keeping to herself and going in and out of the coop at very regular intervals and seeming generally uncomfortable.
    When I looked an hour ago she had hollowed out the straw, and when I checked later she had laid a big egg (for the delicate size of the pullet) which was heavily blood-smeared. She seemed fine in herself and was not obviously bleeding from her vent.
    [​IMG]

I've not had this happen before and wonder if it is just 'big egg, small passages' ?

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank You

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    She was likely eggbound temporarily.

Give her some olive-oil soaked bread for a few days to keep the system a little slicker and keep an eye on her for discomfort. Was this a first or one of her first eggs?

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    This was the very first....she seems fine now, but I'll give them all some olive oil bread.

4. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    As long as your hen is eating and drinking you should be fine the egg was just too big for her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by