Heavily injured chick

I'm not getting ay benefit from your photos. Sorry, they don't show the wound itself in detail to determine what state of healing it may be in or if it's infected. Extreme well focused close ups are necessary to do that.

If you look at the puncture wound closely, and you need to try to get a glance at the crop sack puncture, as well, you will know that it's trying to heal if you see a raised rim of new tissue around the perimeter of the two wounds. This is called "granulation", and it means the wound is healing from around the edges toward the center.

That would be healthy and normal. But if you do not see this rim of new tissue, but instead see raw edges that may be red and swollen, and the wound seems to be as large as it was at first, then infection is underway and an antibiotic will be necessary.

Most crop injuries heal on their own with minimal care to keep it clean and free of bacteria. But you need to monitor the wound daily, not just clean and anoint it.

he's about a little over a month. I can see the water just flowing out as he drinks it. Today when I was cleaning him up, there were pieces of food too that I cleaned up from that hole.
The brown bit is where it's punctured. I don't see it hindering him one bit though. He seems to be eating normally and running about just fine.
Like @azygous I really can't tell anything from the photos.

To me, the concern is that you mention you "can see water just flowing out as he drinks it" there are also pieces of food too. I would worry about him become dehydrated and malnourished if water (and food?) is flowing out freely.

If you can get some more photos they may helpful.

I'm not getting ay benefit from your photos. Sorry, they don't show the wound itself in detail to determine what state of healing it may be in or if it's infected. Extreme well focused close ups are necessary to do that.

If you look at the puncture wound closely, and you need to try to get a glance at the crop sack puncture, as well, you will know that it's trying to heal if you see a raised rim of new tissue around the perimeter of the two wounds. This is called "granulation", and it means the wound is healing from around the edges toward the center.

That would be healthy and normal. But if you do not see this rim of new tissue, but instead see raw edges that may be red and swollen, and the wound seems to be as large as it was at first, then infection is underway and an antibiotic will be necessary.

Most crop injuries heal on their own with minimal care to keep it clean and free of bacteria. But you need to monitor the wound daily, not just clean and anoint it.

These are photos I could manage today. Do these provide a better perspective?
Compared to the other chicks, he seems quite small, as in there seems to be weight loss.

Attachments

• F1E05E5A-19F3-416B-AFF9-BD43C94B2A5F.jpeg
    F1E05E5A-19F3-416B-AFF9-BD43C94B2A5F.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 1F6237B3-27A5-4D48-A95C-6E437BDF8D42.jpeg
    1F6237B3-27A5-4D48-A95C-6E437BDF8D42.jpeg
    737.8 KB · Views: 10
Like @azygous I really can't tell anything from the photos.

To me, the concern is that you mention you "can see water just flowing out as he drinks it" there are also pieces of food too. I would worry about him become dehydrated and malnourished if water (and food?) is flowing out freely.

If you can get some more photos they may helpful.
@Wyorp Rock so I've managed two more today. Do these help? He does seem smaller compared to the other chicks. The flowing out has stopped now.

That's better. We can see the wound now. But we aren't there. It's up to you to clean the wound up, isolate the crop sack wound from the outer wound, and repair it with super glue. Then do the same with the outer wound. Do this procedure in the morning when his crop is empty. Don't try it with a full crop.

There's a product called Vetbond tissue adhesive. You can search online for it. It's a medical grade super glue. But ordinary super glue will also work. Wash and dry the wound, apply the super glue and hold the tissue edges together for one minute.

Soft or wet foods for 24 hours only. You have nothing to lose by trying. Or you can try to find a vet to do it for an outrageous cost.

@azygous hi! So my chick seems to have improved a lot over the past week. He's eating well and pooping just fine his crop seems to be normalizing. Now I'm just a little concerned about the healing process. As in how soon can I put him back with the other chicks? The sack has got a dark scab by feel to it( which I'm guessing is a good thing?) does he need to completely heal with new skin and all? I'm not able to find any pictures that would tell me that what's happening to him is okay and i should anticipate it.

Are you continuing to keep a moist ointment on the wound? It's great that it's closing up. Is his chest dry now after he drinks? That would be the big test. Keep up with the moist dressing until the scab falls away.

I take it he's chipper and eating okay?

If the wound is not obvious, you can try him with the chicks. Watch carefully for signs of them noticing the wound and trying to peck it. That would be the only problem with letting him go back.

I've brought down the ointment to just once a day thing. He's with his buddies now and seems to be adjusting just fine. He does seem like he's lost a lot of weight. He's smaller and i wouldn't want him to be bullied by the others. There's one in particular who's almost older by a month! Is there anything I should do about it or will he adjust in the coming days?
Thanks!

You could feed him some scrambled eggs with oatmeal for a few days to regain strength. I would separate him for the scrambled egg meals so he will be able to eat it all in peace.
Actually, a better strategy is to make plenty of eggs for all the chicks and let them all party with the small chick. That stimulates the small chick to want to compete for food, thus eating more than if it was all alone.

Tofu is a good food also to put weight on a lagging chick. I sprinkle Nutri-drench over it for additional nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom