heavy breather

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kenw, Jan 10, 2011.

1. kenw

kenw New Egg

Dec 25, 2010
    I picked up a silkie rooster last night. He is in quarantine right now. His feathers seem to be matted at the base of his skull and he doesn't have the full head of feathers I typically expect on a silkie- not sure if he is molting or not. Also when he is handled if he loses his balance and flaps his wings, once he settles down he pants- like a fat man that just walked up a hill. Only for a few seconds and then he calms down. Somebody post your thoughts on this little guy as we closely watch him over the next four to five weeks. He is eating well enough and droppings are okay. When we got him home last night he drank like there was no tomorrow. ( i tried to post a photo of him on here but can't figure out how to do it)

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Maybe a congenital heart condition? That might explain the feather loss in the back of his head. If he is weak from a heart condition, he may have been being "mated" by another rooster.

No mucus or eye discharge?

(I have to say your title made me think this post was going to be a completely different subject.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  3. kenw

kenw New Egg

Dec 25, 2010
    No discharges. he has some wet dropping last night but it cleared up today- maybe it was from the stress of the move. The family who gave him to me hatched him from an egg and it was only him, one silkie hen and 2 ri reds. From the way he has been eating I wonder if he was under-fed or crowded out of the feed bin!

4. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    When a young rooster gets too frisky or bold, hens will put them in their place. This can include feather plucking and not letting him near the food.

Maybe he is just scared right now. Hyperventilating.

5. kenw

kenw New Egg

Dec 25, 2010
    I hope so! He didn't crow today and I am sure he is at a loss going from a flock of four to being alone. I would like to pen him next to my flock but don't want to take any chances just yet until I'm convinced he's healthy. He'll just have to put up with me being his only friend for right now. Thanks for your thoughts.

6. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Good! Keep him well away from your flock for at least three weeks until you are sure he is not sick. As an added benefit he will bond better with you if you do.

7. kenw

kenw New Egg

Dec 25, 2010
    Oh we're bonding! This mornings lesson was don't peck the hand that fills the feeder! He's got spunk. I liked that.

8. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yep - he's a rooster! [​IMG]

9. westcoast chickenmama

westcoast chickenmama New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    Sunnyside
    Hi We are in Sunnyside wa. This is our second time incubating, we both act like nervous parents..LOL
    We have a variety of chickens, RIR, Barred Rock, Silver lace Wyandotte, Golden Comets. We just ordered more including Gold Laced Wyandottes..
    Our house is filled with the sounds of peeping chicks. We are learning as we go, so far we have had good luck with the incubating.
    We are using a Little Giant and not real happy with it, we are considering a Hova-Bator Genesis 1588 as we can not afford a GQF Sportsman
    right now. We are also considering building our own incubator, but are unsure of how to wire the 250 watt bulb and thermostat together!!
    Any suggestions?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by