Heavy breathing chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by samantha1128, Dec 2, 2011.

1. samantha1128

samantha1128 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    Gilbert Arizona
    I had 1 of my 2.5 week old chicks die 2 days ago. It was breathing heavy and then 2 days later died. Had mouth open almost gasping for air. Was eating and drinking and going to the bathroom, but looking labored. Wasn't too hot and I moved him the last day to a seperate area with a lamp and food and water and the next morning he was dead.

the rest were fine until today (2 days after the one died) and now one is breathing the same and chirping along with it. I seperated the chick and am wondering what this can be.

They have fresh food and water and I clean the area every other day. they have a red heat lamp on half of their space and the other half is available if they are too warm.

Is there anything I can do, or is this just natural selection?

They are black french copper marans if that makes a difference. (i bred them from my marans rooster that is wade jean-line and the 2 copper marans hens I got from someone here in az)

2. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    Do they just want to lay down when they are breathing hard like that?
    Are they on Medicated feed?
    have you checked their poop?
    Have you treated them for anything? (ie Corid or sulmet for cocci)
    Do you add vitamins to their water?

(there is a form to fill out but don't have the time to poke around at the moment...)

At that age it can be difficult, and even if their poop is ok they may still have cocci. I would start by treating for that in the rest of the flock just in case.

Good luck!

3. samantha1128

samantha1128 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    Gilbert Arizona
    poop is all fine.

they eat a little and drink a little.

they just look fatigued. (this one thats sick now and the other one that died. others look fine)

they can walk around, but they don't too much

they are on medicated water. (tetracycline yellow powder)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by