Heavy Breathing Duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jackoeVogel23, Mar 25, 2017.

1. jackoeVogel23

jackoeVogel23 Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Hey! I am new to owning ducks. I have two ducklings around 6 weeks old. I noticed one has heavy breathing. It isn't always reathing heavy, but when it does, I worry. I try to keep the bedding dry as I can. Thought about switching to has, mayne it would stay dryer longer? He still eats, drinks, swims, and runs around. Not sure if i should take him to a vet or if There was something i could give him to make it go away. Could it possibly be that he is just a heavy breather?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What breed? and what are your temps? Some heavier breed like Pekin seem to do the heavy breathing so it maybe normal for this duck but If you notice heavy breathing loss of appetite laying around not interested in the other ducks then I'd get him to a vet asap. If he is doing all ducky things then just keep an eye on him.

@jackoeVogel23

3. jackoeVogel23

Mar 25, 2017
    Thank you!! They are Pekins. His is always excited and always playing and swimming. It is 't all of the time that he breathes heavy, just every so often. Sometimes the second one does as well, just not as often maybe becuase he is a bit smalles than my heavy breather. I read online that if it is an infection, to put oregeno in his food. Is that true?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It won't hurt to add some Oregano to their feed, I put dried Oregano in my fermented feed I make for my flock 1 Tab to the bucket per week.

5. jackoeVogel23

Mar 25, 2017
    Great, thanks for all of your help!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by