Heavy Breathing, Should I be worried?

ChickenTownie

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Bethany, Oklahoma
I have a Rhode Island Red hen that is about 2 years old. I have had her for about 9 months along with 3 other hens. She is super friendly and will follow me around almost like a dog when I am in the yard. A few days ago, I noticed that she is breathing heavily, and almost sounds congested. She has no other noticeable symptoms. She isn't lethargic. She is eating and pooping just fine. I am not 100% sure she is drinking, but only because I haven't seen her drink. I isolated her in case its contagious and I was using a bowl for water, but tonight I added a watering nipple to a small bottle so I can tell if and how much she is drinking.

Here is a video:
0.jpg

Any ideas what the cause is? How to treat it? Should I be worried? I bought some Duramycin but I haven't used it yet...

Many things can cause breathing problems or respiratory illness in chickens. Dust or poor air quality, ammonia odors, and mold can all cause difficulty breathing, and can promote a respiratory infection. Bacterial, viruses, and fungi (mold) can all cause diseases. Make sure that her nostrils are clear and free of secretions or food. Here is a list of many of the possible respiratory diseases that are common in chickens: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

the same problem with my cockerel. when he runs he starts to make a noise like snoring. in the evening when it gets colder he does it even without running. my vet gave me antibiotics (erithromycine) and told me to treat all of them for a week. I also give them some garlic, cayenne pepper and acv in the evening to help their immune system and to keep them warm at night. this is the 3rd day and he seems to be ok, or at least that is what I want to believe. so, garlic, acv and cayenne pepper will never harm them but do a great job. good luck!

I gave her some antibiotics along with the garlic and cayenne. She appears to be on the mend, even if she is a little grumpy with me keeping her separated most of the time so I can give her the meds without dosing the whole folk.

any update?

my cockerel is in the house in a rabbit's cage. his nostrils are a bit blocked but he seems to be ok. he keeps chatting and does not mind being in a cage. I through some scratch, green leaves and garlic cloves and he is happy when he discovers them. when it gets warmer outside I let him walk for a while (it is warm and sunny at daytime). he does not complain when I put him back in the house. I do hope he will get well soon.

good luck with your little one!

I wanted to wait and give an update once things had changed. She is all better, no breathing issues any more. I gave her duramycin for a week and when she started laying again I would scramble the eggs with garlic and cayenne then feed them too her. She loved the eggs, but it still felt a little morbid feeding her own eggs to her! She is back outside with the other hens now and enjoying the company. When she was separated, she got pretty anxious and would peck at me a lot when I checked on her so I moved her back as soon as she seemed better.

I wanted to wait and give an update once things had changed. She is all better, no breathing issues any more. I gave her duramycin for a week and when she started laying again I would scramble the eggs with garlic and cayenne then feed them too her. She loved the eggs, but it still felt a little morbid feeding her own eggs to her! She is back outside with the other hens now and enjoying the company. When she was separated, she got pretty anxious and would peck at me a lot when I checked on her so I moved her back as soon as she seemed better.

glad to hear she is ok.

my other cockerel and 2 pullets got sick as well. I was at vet yesterday and he told me that chickens should be treated for 40 days to heal completely. he gave me some water soluble oxytetracycline and vibramycin pills for the heavier cases. It seems it is going to help (fingers crossed!). This is the first time I hear that chicken need that much time to heal completely. maybe that is the reason my first cockerel is still in the house, feeling better but as I stopped the therapy he didn't get well (although he is a happy, chatty guy).

don't worry about giving eggs to your hen, I do it all the time even when they are healthy. it is good for them. I boil eggs and give them together with the shells. they all love it!

Back
Top Bottom