Heavy breathing/wheezing meat bird. What to do?

my first peepers

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
South Western VT
I have 10 CornishX. All are hot and panting as it is a hot day, though they do have the door open/shade/breeze. They are 5 weeks old on pine shavings and have been healthy. I did loose 2 during the first week and 1/2 but none since.
The one I'm concerned about is breathing rapidly with a wheezy/squeeky sound.
Any ideas what this might be and how I can help it?

Its probably a heart related problem. If you don't want to cull this bird, stick its feet and legs in a pan of water. It will help cool it down. Of course it might upset it enough that it'll have a heart attack. These guys grow so rapidly their hearts have no chance of keeping up.

If you can put a fan on them. Blowing right on them.

I have had Cornish X before and didn't have many problems, so to me that loss sounds high, though I know they tend to have heart and le problems. Are you taking the food away in the evening?

There's been something going on with the Cornish X's this year. I've read several times of high mortality at just a few weeks in age. I'm not sure any solution or problem was found.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wrapped a big cold pack in a plastic bag and put it in there but they were all afraid of it. It seems better now that has cooled down. If it's bad again tomorrow I will give them a fan.

They can't eat at night because it's dark...why take the food away?

Back
Top Bottom