1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heavy breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cjkleck, Oct 14, 2015.

1. cjkleck

cjkleck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    One of my girls is breathing heavy. She is also opening her beak when she breathes. It also sounds like she sneezes as well... she is still walking and pecking around. Anyone have ideas???

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    She could have a respiratory infection that is blocking her nostrils (but look down her throat to check for gape worms). Either way, i would advise that you isolate her and put vitamins / electrolytes in her water. If its a mild respiratory infection, she should get through it ok).

I'll let other more experienced members suggest a diagnosis and possible remedies.

All the best

CT

3. cjkleck

Oct 8, 2015
    Ok so I am a new chicken owner. How in the world do you look down their throat?

4. cjkleck

Oct 8, 2015
    Also what kind of vitamins and electrolytes do I use?

5. cjkleck

Oct 8, 2015
    I hope someone can help! I also wonder should I add electrolytes and vitamins to the other chickens water? Should I feed yogurt? Since I have a sick chicken now does that mean I won't be able to add to my flock because she carries something?

6. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    I am having the same problem with 2 of my chickens as well. It seems like I read more and more threads like this every day. I have my two babies in isolation in my sons bathroom, and I am using tons of hand sanitizer and changing clothes everytime I have to deal with them to prevent the spread. I havent really gotten much other advice than what you have already been given.... I am using Sav-A-Chick electrolyte and probiotics and also VetRx on nostrils and under wings, and I also have a humidifier set up in the bathroom for them. The hen, who started showing symptoms Monday night seems to be a little less congested now. She has continued to lay and seems to just feel under the weather but other than that she shows no other symptoms. I am also giving ALL my other chickens electrolytes to boost their immune systems just in case they start coming down with it too, maybe we will have a leg up on it. Keep us updated on how your baby is doing, I am interested to see what comes of all these different cases of respiratory problems! I hope she gets better soon!!

7. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    I hold mine under one arm, like a football, keeping their wings pinned against their body, then gently, yet firmly hold their head and separate their beak, they will struggle a bit, but will eventually let you have a look. I once used an ace bandage to secure my chicken while I checked out a broken leg and it worked like a charm, kept her from flapping her wings everywhere while I had her on her back. It might work better if you had a helper to hold a flashlight so you can get a good look. Hope that helped!!

8. cjkleck

Oct 8, 2015
    Thanks everyone. I just got this flock on sunday. First time chicken owner. We dont have a fleet farm or tractor supply super close. And the chickens are on my parents property. I am waiting for my husband and we are going to get some electrolytes and try that. I pray to God that none of the other chickens get sick. I have her quarenteened in the barn. There is no way I could bring her I n the house.

9. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    It sounds like you have done all you can do to get her away from the others. So far none of my others have showed any signs or symptoms, other than the 2 that are already sick. My smaller chick is having a really hard time breathing. If yours are older maybe she will pull through and be fine.

I also wonder if it is safe to return these hens to the flock once they recover, are they going to spread this to everyone else and start the whole process over, or would the others have already caught it if they were going to?

I have owned many chickens in the past but never had an illness like this sweep through the flock. It is very discouraging, so I can only imagine how discouraging and nerve wracking it must be for a first time flock owner, especially since you literally just got them. I hope she is still doing ok, keep us updated!

10. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If its viral, then I would imagine that your whole flock has the problem, just that either possibly their immune systems can cope better than others. I guess its a bit like humans getting the flu or a cold - some suffer more than others. Each flock member may show symptoms at one time or another. I have this issue in my flock and they usually get over it after a week or so. I must stress however that i am by no means suggesting that problem IS viral.

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by