1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

heavy breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MountainBounty, Mar 8, 2012.

1. MountainBounty

MountainBounty New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    Mt. Hood
    Hi there I have a 2 and half week old Americauna chic who is breathing very heavy almost like panting but with beek closed I can see she is working overtime to get air and every breath has a little click. I don't see anything obstructing the nostriles. on each side of her beek below the nostriles looks like to little muscle sacks are inflating and deflating rapidly. She is a little shakey but has plenty of pep. I have seperated her and given electrolytes just wondering if I should do anything else. I do have some sulmet in the fridge any help would be appreciated.

2. MountainBounty

MountainBounty New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    Mt. Hood
    just to update The baby seems better today still a small click but not breathing so heavy. I have kept her seperated. I am keeping her on the save a chic pack. Just wondering if anybody knows what this was. To have come and be going away in 24 hours

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Take a listen to her chest and see if you hear any crackles or wheezing. I would suggest an antibiotic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by