heavy breed yet good layer

kelliepulido

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
st.john's mi
what it the best?I have some blrw they have not started laying.My ee are beautiful but they keep flying over the fence and getting killed by my dogs.The blrw and 2 light brahmas are too heavy to fly over what else is good

My first question is how old are your girls? Most heavy breeds don't start laying until 20 weeks. If your EEs are flying over the fence have you tried either covering your run or clipping their wings? My Red Sexlinks or Golden Comets as they are called are fantastic layers of large brown eggs. They aren't as heavy as a wyandotte though and can fly up into the trees to roost if I let them. Also RIR and BR are great layers as well. BA are good and they are big girls also.

I love my Buff Orpingtons. But they will jump on this and that to get over fences too. They are very heavy, though.

Yes, BOs.

Also my Golden Sex Links are good and heavy. But they are a little bit aggressive and don't get along with anyone not raised with them.

I have the same problem with my sex links. I thought mine were just grumpy! LOL The only one they really like and accept is my younger sex link who looks just like them. Who thought chickens could be prejudice!
lau.gif

A 60x60 run is not too big to cover, not if you get some bird netting. I bought mine at Lowe's, and it comes in 14' x 75' rolls. I use 6 ft garden stakes to hold up the long swaths of netting across the run, and zip tie the edges of each 'pass' over the run together.

Back
Top Bottom