heavy breed yet good layer

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kelliepulido, Sep 25, 2010.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    what it the best?I have some blrw they have not started laying.My ee are beautiful but they keep flying over the fence and getting killed by my dogs.The blrw and 2 light brahmas are too heavy to fly over what else is good

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Why don't you just cover your run, then you don't have to worry about it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Clip Their Wings!!!

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    My first question is how old are your girls? Most heavy breeds don't start laying until 20 weeks. If your EEs are flying over the fence have you tried either covering your run or clipping their wings? My Red Sexlinks or Golden Comets as they are called are fantastic layers of large brown eggs. They aren't as heavy as a wyandotte though and can fly up into the trees to roost if I let them. Also RIR and BR are great layers as well. BA are good and they are big girls also.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I love my Buff Orpingtons. But they will jump on this and that to get over fences too. They are very heavy, though.

Yes, BOs.

Also my Golden Sex Links are good and heavy. But they are a little bit aggressive and don't get along with anyone not raised with them.

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I have the same problem with my sex links. I thought mine were just grumpy! LOL The only one they really like and accept is my younger sex link who looks just like them. Who thought chickens could be prejudice! [​IMG]

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Have you considered clipping their wings???

8. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I will have to try the clipping.My run is too big to cover 60ftx60ft and more.I will try the bo next or ba thanks

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

My Easter Egger girls do the same thing. They are always flying over the fence, and up atop the coop even. Silly girls! [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

A 60x60 run is not too big to cover, not if you get some bird netting. I bought mine at Lowe's, and it comes in 14' x 75' rolls. I use 6 ft garden stakes to hold up the long swaths of netting across the run, and zip tie the edges of each 'pass' over the run together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by