Heavy Breeds & Roosts

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JPinVT, Jul 15, 2010.

1. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Hi there! I was wondering if someone could tell me what breeds are considered the "heavy" ones that need a lower roost for safety. Could you take a look at my signature and see if any of my ladies (or gentlemen) would be better off with a lower roost? And what heights would be considered high or low? I have a roost in my coop right now that's about 3-4 feet off the floor - is that ok? Thanks so much for your advice!

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I have roosts ate 3 and 4 feet so my birds can choose where they want to roost. None of my heavies have had trouble gettign to either level. The only time I had issue was with one orpington hen who had to get her wing feathers clipped to keep her out of a flower bed. She couldn't reach the 4 ft roost and that made her mad. [​IMG]

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have HEAVY breeds and Light Breeds. They are roost together at the highest roost. The difference being that the HEAVY breeds can not lifted their heavy butts off the ground too high. So, I use a ladder style roost and they jump / hop from rung to rung until they are at the top with the rest of the breeds.

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    the cochin, brahma, cornish, and orpington are all not the best flyers but they should be able to get to a 3-4 ft roost i would think. if they get to heavy to fly up you could always build a ramp for them or put a object on the floor under the roost that they could hop on to and then hop up to the roost like a log or somthing [​IMG]

5. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Thanks guys! So far they're all roosting together up there, but they're only 3 months old, so they've still got some growing to do. I'll just play it by ear I guess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by