Heavy chick loss first day :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tryingtohaveitall, Apr 5, 2011.

1. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I am so sad. We received our shipment of 27 chicks from McMurray today. At first everyone looked ok and drank from the water but within a few hours, we lost 2. I just found another one dead and there are two more who don't look good at all. [​IMG] We've done chicks before and NEVER had losses like this. Any suggestions?

2. RebekahG77

RebekahG77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    No advice here, I'm brand new to this! But wanted to offer hugs. How heartbreaking! I hope you find some answers.

3. fishboy1

fishboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    I had the same thing happen with my first bunch. (lost 9/25) I think they were heavily stressed and cold from shipping. It was 38 and raining here and below freezing in IA when they were shipped/arrived.

No expert by any means but here is what I suggest.

Get it a little extra warm in the brooder, say +5 degrees. Put a divider in the brooder and put the small/weak chicks in one side with plenty of food and water and the rowdy big chicks in the other side. They cant handle a lot of roughness the first couple days if they were left in the cold during shipping or shaken up much.

Try some plain yogurt mixed with their chick starter, say a tablespoon to start.
    Check them all for pasty butt and wipe as necessary.

I think that by getting them a little extra warm it takes some of the stress off their bodies trying to stay warm. It also makes them sleepy so they can recharge their batteries instead of running around freaked out by the new environment.

Was it cold during shipping or when you got them home?

Good luck, hope you get them under control.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Water should be about 95 degrees when they arrive for the first day. the second as well if shipment was really stressful If the water is too cold, it will stress them further and can have problems, including death. Room temperature water on the third day.

Don't handle at all on the day of arrival.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  5. tryingtohaveitall

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for the advice and kind words. The tally now is 5 dead from the 27. We've never had this happen before anywhere near, that's why it's so shocking. Yes, it was rainy when they arrived so damp and getting chilly. I do wonder if that wasn't the problem for the smaller, weaker ones. So far the rest look good except for one who I'm hoping it just sleepy. He is still walking around though not as vigorous as the others. sigh. I hate this part of having animals. [​IMG]

6. buffs only

buffs only Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Conyers Georgia
    sorry for your lose, I got 30 buff orps yesterday morning from McMurray, when I picked them up at the post office I was afraid some would not make it, but they were all good and within about 30 min. in their brooder appeared to be fairly spunkie. Hope the rest of yours can make it

7. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I would not hesitate to add vitamins and electrolytes to the water at this point. Good luck. You are right, this is the bummer part of having these little guys and gals.

8. tryingtohaveitall

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:Thanks. We had added vitamins and sugar to the water from the start. No electrolytes so that's a helpful suggestion. Thanks!

9. iasc300

iasc300 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Linden, IA
    Quote:You got 30 Buff Orpingtons from McMurray yesterday?
    If you dont mind when did you order them or call the hatchery?
    I called to order BO's from McMurray 2 weeks ago and they said they wount have any available till the middle/end of may

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by