1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heavy chicken…..Concerned

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by max13077, Jul 12, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I make a habit(good or bad) of picking up my chickens and giving them the “lovin’s”(mom’s name not mine) every once in a while. They seem to enjoy it. My girls are 19 weeks old and haven’t for the most part produced any eggs yet with the exception of three small ones I found on the floor. However this afternoon, just now in fact I picked up one who usually keeps pretty much to herself. When I lifted her up, I thought something was hooked on her leg!! She’s heavy!!! I bet close to twice as heavy as the rest of my girls. She’s the same size and everything though…. She was sitting in the next box this morning squawking and caterwauling like you wouldn’t believe. Could she be backed up with eggs or something? I’m just concerned that she’s ok.

2. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Not sure, don't know much about egg bound as I have never had to deal with it. Hope someone will be able to give you a better answer soon!!

3. chickenboy 101

chickenboy 101 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    i have the same promblem with my chickens they all bawk bawk and puff up their feathers and walk slow when they lay eggs i think its their natural instinct to do it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by