HEAVY DUTY nest box pads for 12x12 nest boxes/qty. 6

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Wynette, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've been using these for years, and they work really well as nest pads.

They are cut from COMMERCIAL GRADE carpet runner that is very thick. This sells at our local Home Depot for $4.99/ft. It's 2' wide, so for each foot, you can cut it to make two 12" x 12" pads. Thus, the pads actually cost $15 (plus tax).

I purchased 3' of it to make next pads for my new Jersey Giant coop - the nests are larger than 12" x 12", but DH cut them too small. They've been sitting in my barn, so I thought I'd offer them up for sale.

The bottom of the pads are a rigid rubber - very durable. The top is a zigzag commercial carpet pattern. I put them in the bottom of my wooden nest boxes and then put a small handful of shavings on top - I haven't had a broken egg since using these (except when someone lays an egg directly on top of another!)

Here's a close-up of the side:

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wynette, do you put anything else in there on top of the pad, or just the pad? Do the birds like it or ever avoid laying on them?

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    When I switched over to using these, I saw no change in their egg laying habits whatsoever. Yes, I do put shavings on top - if you use straw, you can use that, too.

They are super heavy duty, and to clean, I just remove them every few months (although they don't get that "dirty") and hang them to my laundry line, and then spray them down & let air dry.

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Great idea! Used something similar years ago. My boxes are bigger or else I'd get 'em [​IMG]

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I hope someone bids on them, because it's driving me nuts seeing them sitting in the barn not getting used! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by