Heavy Egg-Hasn't Hatched Yet!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ilovefarming, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Ilovefarming

Ilovefarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    Howdy, everyone!!
    So, I went to check on my broody hen this morning, and lo and behold!! PEEEP!! PEEP!! PEEP!! PEEP!! My chicks had hatched! There were four. Much to my disgust, I had to go to town, and when I came back, there were six. So, a few hours ago, Josefina got up to teach her kiddos how to drink and eat. And there were four heavy eggs under her. You would think that if there was not a chick in them, they would not be so heavy? Is it normal, should I throw them away, or wait until a few days to see if they will hatch?

Thanks.
    Ilovefarming

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I would give them a few more days but if you have an incubator warm it up as mom might want to play with her new kiddos and might neglect to keep the egg's warm ...........

3. Ilovefarming

Jun 12, 2014
    Thank you! Do you know how much a good incubator cost? Could you recommend a great brand? This is my first hatch, and I do not know much about this kinda stuff, still learnin'.

4. Ilovefarming

Jun 12, 2014
    btw, I have 7 chicks now. I guess I miscounted them, and one crawled out from under her wings later! :) Yay!:)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Your local farm store should have one on hand .....

[​IMG]
    This is an incubator I purchased in 1997 to replace my still air model that got damaged in a move ....

[​IMG]
    Inside I have a automatic egg turner total today would be around $ 110 I would imagine but for now all you would need is the incubator and that would be $ 54 ... USD but if you take care of it would last a long time ..........

This was made by G.Q.F. , a well established company in incubators .......

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by