Heavy eyebrows? or Mad Hatter? or what?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Svarthona, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Svarthona

Svarthona Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Does anybody know what's going on with the head feathers of this cockerel (16 weeks old)?
    Some of my other cockerels (not the hens or pullets) show similar head feathers, but their "eyebrows" are much shorter than this and do not stick up that much, iykwim.
    Despite the foot feathering, vulture hocks and dark comb he is NOT a silky mutt (he's a Swedish black hen mutt [​IMG] ) and in three years I never hatched a crested chicken from that flock. But this one really got me wondering if those odd "heavy eyebrows" could be some sort of pitiful crest thing?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am selecting for small combs and my flock is on the mutt side of Swedish landrace fowl which are quite variable in their appearance. They are a box of surprises and I would not be surprised if I accidentally selected for some sort of comb growth inhibiting crest like genes. His mad hat of feathers just does not look like any real crest I've seen... so I'm asking the experts [​IMG] What do you think?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks normal to me. Often if a single combed male has excess feathers over the eye, they do that. Some do, some don't.

It's not a crest though, just feathers over the eyes that stick outward.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Handsome boy.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Is his name Andy Rooney?

5. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    don't know about the feathers, but I do like his heavy-metal rock-n-roll look!

6. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

He is very handsome [​IMG] Mine will look similar when he's older but there will be more red where your's has yellow and orange [​IMG]

7. Svarthona

Svarthona Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Thank you everybody [​IMG] He really is a nice guy and I love the contrast of the black to the orange.
    Only problem with him might be that he already hunted the mailman and some passersbys [​IMG] so he might turn out to be a little devil.

Hmm I'm not sure if I'm with you about this being normal Illia. I probably need to pay more attention though [​IMG]
    But normal in my book would look like the little guys in the next picture, just short feathers slicked back and not long feathers sticking up [​IMG] at least that's what I'm used to seeing around here I think.
    [​IMG]

8. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I think it's pretty that way [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by