Heavy eyebrows? or Mad Hatter? or what?

Svarthona

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Does anybody know what's going on with the head feathers of this cockerel (16 weeks old)?
Some of my other cockerels (not the hens or pullets) show similar head feathers, but their "eyebrows" are much shorter than this and do not stick up that much, iykwim.
Despite the foot feathering, vulture hocks and dark comb he is NOT a silky mutt (he's a Swedish black hen mutt
wink.png
) and in three years I never hatched a crested chicken from that flock. But this one really got me wondering if those odd "heavy eyebrows" could be some sort of pitiful crest thing?
42342_imgp6869.jpg

42342_imgp6874.jpg

42342_imgp6866.jpg

42342_imgp6851.jpg

I am selecting for small combs and my flock is on the mutt side of Swedish landrace fowl which are quite variable in their appearance. They are a box of surprises and I would not be surprised if I accidentally selected for some sort of comb growth inhibiting crest like genes. His mad hat of feathers just does not look like any real crest I've seen... so I'm asking the experts
smile.png
What do you think?

Looks normal to me. Often if a single combed male has excess feathers over the eye, they do that. Some do, some don't.

It's not a crest though, just feathers over the eyes that stick outward.

Thank you everybody
smile.png
He really is a nice guy and I love the contrast of the black to the orange.
Only problem with him might be that he already hunted the mailman and some passersbys
roll.png
so he might turn out to be a little devil.

Hmm I'm not sure if I'm with you about this being normal Illia. I probably need to pay more attention though
hide.gif

But normal in my book would look like the little guys in the next picture, just short feathers slicked back and not long feathers sticking up
hu.gif
at least that's what I'm used to seeing around here I think.
42342_imgp1523.jpg

Back
Top Bottom