Heavy Hearted about having to rehome my GSD

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jamie_Dog_Trainer, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Hello

After a lot of thought I have decided that Im going to rehome my German Shepherd dog, Foenix. He's not good with kids, I have a 21 month old daughter and after a lot of consideration over the past month and assessing him I have realized that having him in our home is not fair to him or really to us.

Foenix is a wonderful security dog, and a great companion for adults. He's very social and confident..with one exception. He's very afraid of children. I have dealt with these situations in my company for a long time, and even when I worked for other training facilities. Its not that I can't deal with him its the fact that Foenix won't ever be OK with children. I can train him and desensitize him to my daughter, but that training won't apply to other kids. Right now I am on "behavior management" with him. Meaning that I keep them seperate at all times. That also means that Foenix does not get the interaction he needs or deserves.

Right now Foenix gets plenty of exercise, eats well, lives indoors, ect. But his needs of mental stimulation are lacking due to me having my daughter with me nearly all the time. I also just got a new part time job so there's even less time for us to do things. I just have come to the conclusion that he needs a new home where he's free of the pressures of kids and has someone who can be with him as much as he needs. He's a wonderful dog other than the issue with children. I just can't take that chance.

This is such a hard decision, he's only just over three years old with a ton of training. Excellent in bitework and obedience. But I just can't have a dog thats not going to really be part of the family. I hate this but its the best thing. [​IMG]

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry it has turned out that way, but I am sure you know what is best for both your family and your pet.

3. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I agree, good luck with placing him and sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out in your favor. I love GSDs.

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I am so sorry to hear you need to rehome him - Wish I lived closer
    A reputable GSD rescue could find him a good home in a New York Minute!! Haha, city pun!!
    I love my GSD, and have no children so he would have been excellent for us................

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    aw. I understand.

hugs,
    gretch

6. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    [​IMG] I'm sorry! [​IMG] Everybody here KNOWS that I'm a GSD lover. If it gives you any peace of mind, get online and contact lots of GSD rescues and even contact any fairly close police departments to see if they have a K-9 patrol that would be interested in him. I'm sure that if your dog moved to a place with a job he'd be VERY HAPPY.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    So sorry [​IMG] I know how that would break my heart.

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I completely understand why. It's hard to have a dog that can not interact with children and sometimes children are rough without realizing it and the dog reacts. I'm sorry you have to re-home him, but I think it would be in the best interest of everyone.

I agree with contacting a Police Department. They could probably use him, with all the training that he has had. [​IMG]

9. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Thank you everyone for all the kind comments and suggestions [​IMG] I will probably put him up on his breeder's website, but not sure if she will allow that. As far as him becoming a patrol dog. Yes he could do that job well IMO, he's got good defense and prey drive. However I wouldn't want him going into that kind of thing. Not that I don't trust police depts, but Foenix was not raised in that kind of environment and I'm not sure it would be best for him.

I'm not sure where I'll go to advertise him yet. GSD rescues would be a good place to start, however with his bitework training and issues with kids around here he would probably be considered more of a liability. I will be in contact with some rescues this week and see how it plays out. Right now since I'm in "business" mode I'm doing ok emotionally. But when the time comes it will be very very difficult.

Right now I am also trying to get an appt. at our Vet to have him neutered as I don't want interested parties to adopt him for a breeding dog.

10. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Foenix Vom Banach:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by