Heavy Limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jentralala, Jul 27, 2014.

1. jentralala

jentralala Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    My 14 week old pullet has started limping rather heavily, favoring her right leg. I've inspected her multiple times and can't find any injury, signs of bumblefoot, or even any swelling/discoloration. I thought perhaps she hurt it flying down from the roost (it's 4ft high, but they have a thick layer of pine shavings and it's in a large coop) so I made a ramp, but I can't say I've seen her use it...

Is there anything I can do? Is this a wait and see kind of thing? I was thinking about putting her in a dog crate in the coop for a few days to force her to rest. Would this help at all?

2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    maybe she sprained her leg u could put her leg in a sling see if it helps but I know recently somebody posted the same thing of her chicken limping but it had bumble foot and died just make sure she doesn't have a black dot on her foot.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she dragging the leg like it is paralyzed, or is she holding the injured leg up? Check for swelling of the footpad all the way up to joints and to the hip. Placing her in a confined area with food and water, and some vitamin B complex in her water (1 tablet dissolved in a gallon of water,) for at least a week would help. Bad sprains or breaks can take a couple of weeks to heal. If the bones are not aligned (if broken) and there is swelling, it may need splinting. Did she have a Mareks vaccine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by