Heavy molt with impacted/sour crop..now can't keep balance.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rockin' Reds, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Hi all. I have a 1 1/2 year old RIR hen in a very heavy molt who ended up with an impacted and sour crop. Got that cleared after a few days with olive oil and massaging. Her breath is better as well. I am concerned though because she hasn't been too interested in eating much, which I attributed to what she has been through with the molt and crop, and she has been steadily losing weight. She is now acting dizzy and is having difficulty keeping her balance. She mostly tips to the right side for some reason but is generally very unsteady. Is this due to the sour crop and her being weak or do you all think I am now dealing with some type of infection now? I made a wet mash out of her layer feed and she is really going after that this morning, which is encouraging. Any advice or thoughts on the balance issues or what I should do?

2. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Please....does anybody have any thoughts on this? She's no worse but no better. She tries to preen her new feathers on her back but falls down and walking is a real challenge staying upright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by