Heavy moult

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
Last winter my barred rock hen went through an insanely heavy moult during a cold snap (-30c). She wanted to be alone and wouldn’t sleep near the other hens because she was uncomfortable. If someone else goes through this heavy a moult this year during freezing temperatures, am I able to bring them in and have them live inside in a big dog crate until their moult is done? Or is that a bad idea? I honestly don’t know how she survived that moult last year. Chickens are so tough!

I cant personally confirm but rumor says feeding All flock lessens the chance of a very heavy molt. I have not tried this yet.

Has anyone seen a difference or done this?

I cant personally confirm but rumor says feeding All flock lessens the chance of a very heavy molt. I have not tried this yet.

I've only feed mine all-flock in the summer so I have no experience with this. But I would assume that it does help because you have increased protein which helps with molting

I have never fed anything but Purina Flock Raiser.....have a few hard molters, but most not.
I don't think it's about a specific feed, but individual birds.

Back
Top Bottom