HEAVY RAIN = MITES...... TREATMENT ADVICE/COMMENTARY???

Pics

HortaChickenist

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2016
Jax
Hola fellow Chickenologists,

This will be my first year raising birds end of this month and after first defeating an outbreak of dry fowl pox mother nature as decided to test my resolve yet again with a mite infestation and we have had over a foot of rain in the last three weeks (Jax, FL)

My coop maintenance is routine and I run....ran...a clean ship up til now..pine shavings changed every other week in our run...DE mixed in and a spray of IC3 concentrate with every change on the flooring (they are relegated to the run due to heavy predators in our area but plenty of space to roam.) Coop is sand floor and is also dusted, raked and sprayed with the IC3 and DE in the nesting boxes and in the sand flooring along with PDZ.
DE isn't doing it...dumped out a nesting box full of DE and full of mites!!! I bleach and wash out the nesting boxes every other week. Strange thing I haven't seen mites on the birds but I'll chalk that up to my bad eyesight...cause there's no way with all these mites running around they aren't chomping on my ladies. (All Layers BTW)

Going to do a spraying of the IC3 with mineral oil (recommended on the label) anyone have experience with this and did it work? How many apps to get things under control? Suggestions for meds for putting on the birds....btw I'm not into bird washing plus I have 22 and limited time given our 4 acre garden/orchard. I guess time to nuke the place until signs of mites subside.

I prefer dusting with Sevin Dust, but permethrin spray is good too. Either will work fine, it's just a matter of personal preference.
Did you know that Sevin (carbaryl) is no longer approved for use in poultry and mites in some parts of the country are resistant to it?

smiley-says-lol.gif

I'd been using the IC3 without mixing it with the mineral oil which is what they suggest for poultry infestations...for those of you not familiar it is a concentrate of rosemary oil, geraoil, peppermint oil and probably has as fast if not a faster knock down then permethrin works great on all types of insects and is used indoors and in food sensitive areas...given the heavy amount of rain though everything is getting washed away except in the coop...we have an organic garden and I've been dealing with all sustainable sprays for over 30 years, there isn't anything I don't have in the arsenal...sometimes you gotta switch it up...I'll blast with the permethrin and monitor...place is completely cleaned out getting ready blast and replace bedding...

What a bummer on the DE, obviously it doesn't work when you pour out a nest pad and liner with DE on it and you see mites running around in it...I was using the food grade kind to...geeesh...oh well live to learn another day

Ps it smells awesome hahahahaha

You could try neem oil. In my country you can get organically produced neem. I've just repainted the inside of my coop with it diluted 50% with hot water.

I battled mites all summer and painting with neem was what finally worked. Mites love to hide on the bottom side of roosts so I've taken to running my hand under them every now and then to check for signs of re-infestation. I found evidence the other day so set about re-painting (it's been 4 months).

I too found mites happily lounging about in the deep layer of DE I had in the bottom of my nestboxes!

Neem doesn't smell half as good as your other concoction sounds like it would, but it's worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom