Heavy rasping breath, small amount of blood in poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by choox, Dec 30, 2013.

1. choox

choox Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    hi
    i noticed a few days ago one of my Australorps (3 1/2 yrs old) has been breathing quite heavily.
    it has increased a bit now to include a rasping sound. she still looks great and alert but i think she is eating a
    bit less than normal.
    she stopped laying 6 months ago but has been v healthy since.
    no diarrhea.
    she sits down more in the day to rest.
    i am keeping her inside at night and this morning found a poop with a small amount of darkish blood in it.

suspected coccidiosis, but wondered could worms also produce these symptoms?

any help appreciated.
    ( & of course the local produce stores are shut over new year so is hard to find immediate treatment.)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have a viral or mycoplasmal respiratory disease, but a fungal respiratory infection from mold in the environment or in something she ate could also be a problem. Unless she just came to live there, or you have recently added a new chicken, she should be immune to coccidiosis strains in your yard. Watch the droppings for any more blood. Here is some info about common diseases and aspergillosis:
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disfungi.htm
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. choox

choox Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    shes been in this yard for over 3 years, the only new thing recently was a dusting of Pestene about a week ago. i used it in the bedding too as instructed. its been hot here so i dont think there would be mould in anything...maybe there is a reaction to the dusting, but the other chooks are all fine (touch wood)
    have ordered antibiotics online.
    have read that worms can at times obstruct airways & also produce some blood in poop. they were all wormed about 6 weeks ago. it might be worth a go again..

anyhow, her breathing is louder tonite, will check poop in the morning. thanks for the link, it may yet help...

4. choox

choox Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    infectious bronchitis i am pretty sure. they probably all would be carrying it by now.
    gasping and rattling most of the nite, then this morning eating, clucking and scratching around..
    debating whether or not to take to the vet this morning, but doubt they can do much at all.

5. choox

choox Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    the vet said her lungs are clear and strong, which is good.
    so she said its an upper respiratory issue, not bronchial.
    currently on antibiotics and the rattle has lessened quite significantly - she is breathing easier
    thankfully. previously the rattle and gasp could be heard 3 rooms away.
    still eating but not as much as usual, is a little hunched up sometimes.
    poop quite normal at moment, bit runny.

6. BarredRockMom

BarredRockMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    What kind of anitbiotic was she taking & what was the dosage? How's she doing now?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Antibiotics will only treat secondary infections of viral infections like infectious bronchitis, but if you read the edis link in post 2, there is a list of common diseases, symptoms, and what antibiotics treat best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by