Heavy shade or bright sun?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by GBov, Sep 4, 2009.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    We are getting a house on two acres [​IMG] but the acres are split into one with almost no trees and one with 5 HUGE old grandady oaks. Both are fenced with chain link fencing so I am now wondering when we get chickens which side of the property to put them on?

Being in Florida I am tending tward the oak side, even though the shade is really REALLY dark! But dont want to put them somewhere they wont thrive. I am thinking about getting 25 cornish X for meat birds and 6 or so hens for eggs. Not counting the plan for some goats and turkeys and geese and and and oooooooooooo excited now, gettin me some chickens again [​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I don't know if this will help at all, but chickens can handle cold better than they can heat. If you put them on the sunny side you will have to provide them with some kind of shade.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

No question about it- put them in the shade. Cornish X's will die quickly in extreme heat, so in Florida, it's a no-brainer. They will have no problem in the shade.

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    shade......

5. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Good, thats what I thought but being new to keeping meat chickens I wanted to be sure, to be sure!

Thanks Guys [​IMG]

6. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    yep - shade. you can always raise the canopy of the trees so its more light.. but if they are really old trees... maybe not??

:)

7. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:They are five of the bigest oak trees I have seen in a very long time, absolutly HUGE trees!

Standing under them is like being in some dim green twilite. The chickens should love it [​IMG]

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:I'm not sure what you mean by "raise the canopy of the trees". That doesn't sound like something easily done, but I don't think I've ever heard that term before. Could you explain what that is, please?

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I guess that would depend on where you are located and what time of year you plan on raising your birds.

10. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    I can answer about raising the canopy of a tree,that means to remove the lower limbs to allow more sun to reach the ground under the trees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by