Heavy White duck .

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ghass, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Ghass

Ghass New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Hello,
    Can anyone help me identifying what breed of duck are those white ducks ( orange leg, light pink bill) in my profile photo ???
    They are 11 months old, heavy duck, all are females and they never lay any egg .How do I know if they going to lay egg or no ?

2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    They look like pekins to me. They should have been laying by now. Mine usually start laying around 6 months old. Are you sure they are not hiding the eggs after they lay? Mine are good about hiding their eggs all over the yard.

3. Ghass

Ghass New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    No they never lay any egg.
    Could it be that they are too fat to lay egg ?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How much do they weigh? What do they eat?

5. Ghass

Ghass New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    They eat corn and wheat mixed with small quantity of soya . the weigh is 4 Kg

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Weight's within normal range. Are you providing extra calcium? Just wondering if there may be a lack of calcium or a need for both calcium and phosphorus in the diet. The feed I buy comes premixed, but it is identifiable food - wheat, field peas, flax, kelp, fish meal, and a few other things.

And Vitamin D - that's part of the egg-laying magic, too....Is there premixed feed available to you?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  7. Ghass

Ghass New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    I don’t use premixed feed ,I mixed by myself but I don’t add calcium or vitamin. I set the duck free every day for 2 or 3 hours so I think they must find some sort of calcium and vitamin . I give the same feed to the chickens and they lay egg everyday so I don’t know ! I have to wait and see maybe my ducks need more time !!

8. AxolotlLove

AxolotlLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2016
    My pekin girls never layed eggs either, in the 3 years I had them, I got about 3 eggs in all. If you want eggs, Campbell's are a lovely choice, but the drakes are beasts.

9. Ghass

Ghass New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    This is a useful bad news :) someone else have the same problem with Pekin .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by