Hedge apples for treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by monkeybirdfarms, Oct 28, 2013.

1. monkeybirdfarms

monkeybirdfarms Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    We have several hedge apple trees in the woods on our property. I was just wondering if my chickens would like them as treats, or if it's even a good ideal to give some to them

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. monkeybirdfarms

Sep 5, 2013
    Apparentlly they are somewhat rare in my area , northern Kentucky, however my property must be the exception. I have aprox 5 -8 of them, what looks like intentaly planted in a row in the clearing in my back field. Our farm has been in the family for generations and I'm assuming some distant relatives planted them for whatever reason. I only think this because they are all in a row, evenly spaced and it looks like they are in male and female pairs, ie every other one has thorns and only every other one produces the apples. So it seems like I'm in the same
    Boat as you kelsie lol. From my limited research online they "may" help to keeps bugs away, I also read something about old timers swearing they cure cancer but I haven't found a use for them either

4. monkeybirdfarms

Sep 5, 2013
    Guess I'll just let the kids keep playing stick ball with them lol

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    We have the same thing with a long hedge row of them and others scattered all over, have cut a bunch of them down over the years. The extension services were recommending them to the farmers here to make "living fences" a long time ago, one of the worst ideas ever. Bet that is how your relative wound up with them in some tree package deal the extension service had.

6. monkeybirdfarms

Sep 5, 2013
    That sounds about right to me. I need to take them down just have not got around to it. Heard the wood burns insaine hot and in some cases may damage a homes fireplace

7. OliveEggs

OliveEggs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    I know this thread is old, but I thought I would try... Would it be ok to chip the hedge wood trees and use the chips as bedding?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by