Hedgerow Laying

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CluckyJay, Dec 17, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I am attempting this this coming up growing season. I have already started laying out the lines for it!

http://www.hedgeandhazel.co.uk/userimages/000.JPG

Pretty nifty, huh'? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Can you imagine training some longer limbs and making an enclosed run with them? Talk about pretty. Especially when in bloom.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Way cool, but looks like a LOT of work!

3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Yeah but, its gardening!!!! Oh man, got the best of both worlds--being able to garden and make living fencing!
    I have all the privet we need for it. [​IMG] Just gotta dig and move them. [​IMG]

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It will be gorgeous. Must see pics of the work in progress.

Good luck.

5. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I will take pictures of every step. I am gonna write a Hub about it. Ohhh, so exciting!

6. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Mother Earth News had an article on 'natural fencing' not so long ago (summertime?)....definately 2011 edition. Try searching their webpage for it.
    They had a lot of good suggestions on appropriate bushes to try (barbed, not barbed, fruiting, evergreen, etc.)....that's what I am interested in! The article was quite nice.
    We've got a LOT of red-twig dogwood. If it didn't self-sow by forming clumps, I'd consider using it - but could only tend to one side of the 'fence'. I'd have to trust the neighbor to take care of their side - and that doesn't seem neighborly to me (oh, I'll plant this and YOU tend your 1/2?!)

7. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    lol. Too bad it won't just grow on one side. Those are such lovely plants. So pretty in the winter!

I am going to add pomegranate and quince to the layout. Not sure how yet, but I want to include a lot of medicinals in the hedgerow.

8. tuckertori

tuckertori Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I have a greenbelt behind my house that has a path about 8 feet from my fence. I have thought about plantings to create a "hedgerow" look and to create more privacy from the path. We do have a fence, but more privacy is always nice. This looks beautiful! Luckily, we have permission to plant on the greenbelt within 6 feet of our fence.

9. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    You should try this and post pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by