Hedgies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bantamamba, Jan 26, 2010.

1. bantamamba

bantamamba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    I was wondering how many of our members have had or currently keep hedgehogs.

I used to...our first seemed very young and had severe separation anxiety. She ended up having to be put down thanks to issues with suspected inbreeding. The same pet store gave us another hedgie "as a replacement", although they were grouchy about it. Thankfully they've since been shut down. [​IMG] She was a good deal healthier than the first little one. Robust salt and pepper female whom we swore was a male when we first picked her up! Had the "belly button" and was in with the males and everything. But no...

Ah, Maggie May. She was my companion for years. I would carry her around in a little pouch slung over my chest. She loved digging in the sand.

My mother wants to start a hedgehog rescue soon. They are magical little creatures.

So who has pictures/stories? :3 I am severely missing my little Maggie tonight for some reason.

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I don't own a hedgehog, but have worked with them at our zoo. They are very cute, and unusual pets. I like how they pop and hiss when you pick them up. Once we took our hedgie to the a school, and when I took him out, I was using our raptor gloves. The hedgie anted, which was neat. I'd only seen that on TV. Anting is when they work up a froth of saliva, and spread it over their spines. They have such cute faces, too.

3. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I wish we had them out here in Australia. I would love to have some. They are just adorable. Baby Hedgehogs are just tooooo cute.

5. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I will trade you Hedgehogs for some Black Cockatoos, prefer Black Palms, but any Blacks would be good.

6. amyparrotflock

amyparrotflock Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Quote:I will trade you Hedgehogs for some Black Cockatoos, prefer Black Palms, but any Blacks would be good.

[​IMG] I'll double the hedgies shes gonna trade you and ask for some gang-gang's and red vented.

7. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Oh My goodness! Those babies are precious. I've never seen babie hedgies. I had one named "spike" when I was in high school. We loved him. He was very cool and loved meal worms. Unfortunately, when we moved, we had to get rid of him but he went to a really good home.

8. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I had a hedgehog for 10 years a few years back and loved him. He was a really fun pet. Would love to have another one someday.

9. bantamamba

bantamamba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Ah, look at the little hoglets. I am so going to visit Spectrum Ranch one of these days. [​IMG]

Yes, it's cool when they ante, although my skin was uber sensitive to the froth. Really neat behaviour. Maggie loved her mealies as well, her absolute favourite snack! That and low-fat cottage cheese. Also their hissing and "frowning" is adorable.

(p.s. black palms = [​IMG] oh goodness)

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I had a little hedgie for several years named Tootie. I loved her. I had to pick her up with gloves but once I had her in my hands I could take the gloves off and handle her just fine. They are very, very cute!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by