Hedwig is honking. Please help !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shabana, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey :)

I have a little chicken whom I,ve inherited. I think he/she is around 16-18 weeks.

Hedwig has been picked upon and was underweight so has been receiving lots of tlc and although not out of the woods her/his weight gain is steady.

Today Ive brought Hedwig home indoors as he/she is making an occasional "Honk" and she sticks out her neck and twists it to one side. It only happens once then its like it never occurred.
    Coupled with that she/he seems out of sorts. I think he/she may have injured the left wing as it is dropped low permanently and he/she is not using it at all. If he/she tries to jump off something he/she will fall as she cant extend it for balance. Its that low her flight feathers are going between her legs at time and I have to intervene.

Hedwig has been wormed this fall and has no mites, he/she is eating and drinking.

I don't know if the HONK neck thing is related to the wing ?
    Ive had a little look in the mouth and I cant see anything stuck. There's no mucus and her eyes are clear.

Please Id be so grateful for some advice.

Many thanks

Shabana x

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would probably check the crop to make sure it is emptying properly by early morning, since Hedwig could be adjusting his crop. The sound he is making may be the start of a crow, perhaps? Does Hedwig have any pointed saddle feathers that may help to identify his sex? He looks fairly colorful and has a good size comb for a pullet. Sorry that I don't have more suggestions.

3. Shabana

It could be the start of a crow. I hope that's it !
    I will have a feather inspection when he wakes up as he's having a snoozle at the moment :)
    Would you sling the wing ?
    Its really low and goes between his legs at times.

Thanks for your reply hun xx

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Shabana

Thanks so much. I think it might be broken am gonna have a look at the link you sent me. Bless you.
    He's such a lovely chicken. He's not settled till he's on your knee.
    I love him to bits.

6. Shabana

Why oh why does this always happen to those that worm their way into your heart ?
    It seems that you were 100% right and he had crop problems. It didn't seem to be emptying properly and when he died today it was riddiculously huge and squishy.

I don't think the nourishment was getting through and although we tried meds and mineral oil and massage but it wasn't to be.

Another heartbreak.

Thank god for this forum, I don't know anyone else that would understand how you can love your chickens.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh I'm so sorry that you lost little Hedwig. If there was a possibility that he could have had Mareks, they can have tumors inside in places such as the crop and digestive system, and it also can make them very susceptible to infections because of the low white blood cell count. I don't know that much about Mareks, but it is just a terrible thing if it gets into a flock, since it can last for many years in the environment. Take care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by