heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllpppppppp.....*** Birth Defect ? ***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GOSPELSOLDIER, Sep 7, 2010.

1. GOSPELSOLDIER

GOSPELSOLDIER Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    new britain
    so i just came back home, and i have two hatched eggs from my American games. One of them looks perfects so far. the chick is trying to get up pipping and such looks normal.
    The other one which im guessing hatched earlier because is alot drier than its brother or sister, has this piece of like just meat hanging from like the abdominal area. and its like hanging on a string like type of skin it seems what is this? a birth defect? This never happende before, and the temp and humidity where perfect for 21 days....

WHAT TO DO? LEAVE HIM BE? TRY PULLING IT, CUTTING IT OFF?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    It is hard to see in the pics, but it sounds like it may have ruptured. If that is the case it will not survive, since that is string of intestines hanging out.

If the string is extremely thin then it may be the ambilical cord where it was attached to the shell with a piece of membrane still hanging on the end of it. If that is the case it will dry up and fall off.

Matt

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Looks like intestines to me. I had this happen once. Best to cull immediately for the sake of the chick. So sorry [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    If you take the chick out it will be obvious if it is intestines. If so, culling is the only option. If it is yolk sac, try tying it off near the umbilicus (belly button for other fellow North Carolinians : )) with some dental floss or just thread and trim off the excess because by your pic, it doesn't look like that can re-absorb. You may have to segregate this chick as well because other chicks will peck it bloody...let us know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by