Heeeeeeelp decide

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lboehmer2, Oct 16, 2009.

1. lboehmer2

lboehmer2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Can anyone tell me if mama hen will freak if I take all her chicks? Have to sell. Not ready for these. Only second time for me to have a batch.

2. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Let's just put it this way, she ain't gonna be happy. Be prepared, she's going to do any thing she can to protect the chicks. Bite, scratch, flog, etc. Is she isolated from the rooster? If not I suggest putting him up first. If the broody and chicks go to screaming, you may have the rooster to deal with also. Just speaking from experience.

After you remove the chicks, she will probably act depressed for a few days.

Marty

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I think your best bet would be removing them at night if they are where you can get them.

4. lboehmer2

lboehmer2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Definately doing it at night. She's cool if we hold the chicks and all, I just meant afterwards... don't want to depress the poor gal.
    Thank you so much for the reply.

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Well, if she's use to you handling the chicks, you've got it made then.[​IMG]

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    If you have the room you could always leave her one or two for a few more weeks. Keep a couple you *think* are pullets and sell them when they're a little older. Mamma hen will be happier and you'll get a little better price....unless of course they turn out to be little roos. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by