Heeeeeey wait a minute, hold the phone, what am i missin here even ?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JimnJanet, May 19, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    I can understand the ambient temp goin up if/when there's heat generatin (?) growth goin on inside the eggs in the bator. Now here's what i need splianed to me. I'm usin a wiggler with a probe in it. How is it that the temp keeps goin up in the wiggler but the ambient temp remains a constant same ?
    What i mean is..if the ambient temp goes up because of growth in the eggs how is it that it effects the temp inside the wiggler and not my inside temp on my Accurite?

2. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    idk check the batteries or maybe it is defective

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It could be a bad thermomter. I have one that even when put in to both read the air temp I get two different readings! Obviously the one reading is bad.

4. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    yes the eggs do generate heat. mine stayed .2-1 degree over air temp till day 18

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    what is a wiggler?

6. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:Here ya go Julie. It is used to simulate the inside temp of your eggs in your bator. You have to have the Accurrite thermometer/hygrometer with the external probe to use it. You can buy that at walmart in the hardware section fer $8 i think it was.
    Here is a pic of a new "wiggler" in the package. I got mine at Dollar Genereal fer under a buck each.
    [​IMG]
    Anf here is a pic of the one in my bator with the Accurrite probe inside of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

If you Google "Water Snake" and use the "shopping" tab there are several sources.

I'm going to have to get one for future hatches myself.

Susan

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  8. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I reckon I never seen or heard of such a thing. Maybe we don't have em in Canada. Thanks for the info.

9. chicken legs

chicken legs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2007
    SW, CT
    Thanks JimnJanet. I have been using my daughters toy wriggler with the cats' (cleaned) rectal thermometer and guess what? It hasn't been working! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by