HEEEELLLPPPP!!!! Pleaseeeee!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Jun 29, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    My RIR has been limping for a month now at the least. Thought she sprained her leg but it is just not healing. Now today I found a rather large red lump on her leg that is obviously hurting her and she is panting all the time. I am so confused on what to do. I put a piece of a wash cloth on her leg soaked with Veteriacine and taped it to her leg. Had luck with Veteriacine before at this point I am desperate to save my "Red" (thats her name). She is my nicest chicken and lays eggs very well. If any one has any suggestions that might help I am ALL EARS!!! SHe is only a year old, I have got to save my sweet girl! Please help!!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:How old is Red and where on the leg is the lump located? A pic would help us diagnose. Panting could be from the heat, if it's hot where you live.

3. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    May want to try oral antibiotic in drinking water. Sounds like an infection/cyst/tumor...Could be anything.

4. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thanks for the replys.. Red is only a year old. The red bump is between the ankle and the foot. It is about the size of a dime. She is the only one of over 20 chichens that is panting.

I've heard of people using several different antibiotics which one would you suggest If it is an infection. I will try to get a pic tomorrow. I have also been batteling leg mites with her. I was soaking her legs in water then scrubbing them and finally coating them with mineral oil. This seemed to cure my one roo but since Red has started limping her balance has not been good so I have not been soaking her legs. Could the mites be causing this? She hasn't laid an egg for a couple of days now. I really would love to try to cure her of this problem. If we cam figure out what it is. Thanks again for all your suggestions!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Due to the location between the ankle and foot, almost sounds like bumblefoot. Without a pic, it's difficult to tell. IF it is bumblefoot, you would need to do minor surgery to dig it out. Type in "bumblefoot" in the BYC search box to learn how to remove the infection. Also, the longer you wait to remove it, the better the chance that the infection will spread to the bone. Once that happens, it will spread to the rest of her body, death follows and there is no stopping it. I agree that you should start her on antibiotics, here's a link that tells you what you can use and how to do it. Remember, this treatment is for bumblefoot...IF that's what it is: See post #'s 2, 4, 6:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=75288

6. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Picture would be good. Could be an infection from mites. You don't want it getting to the bone. Search poultry antibiotics on this site to find what might work best for you. I have only used antibiotics for resp. infections.

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    ok now I need help how do I put a pic on this page? Every thing I am trying is not working.

8. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:You have to have a least 10 post to upload pics to this site...However you can upload a pictures to PHOTO BUCKET and then copy and paste the link to this page....

Sounds like bumblefoot though...but need a pic to be sure.....If it is, you need to treat B4 the infection gets into your little chicks blood stream.

Best Wishes,
    Laura

9. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    SUNP0114.JPG (file://BRADLEY-PC/Users/Bradley/Documents/SUNP0114.JPG)

Ok Well We'll just have to see if this works. I'm trying. Haven't done this before.

10. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    ok that last one didn't work but I just checked and I should be able to post pics. soon.. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by