1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heelllooo from Bremerton!! aka-New Member :D

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Emsanon, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Emsanon

Emsanon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Heellloooo!

I'm just now getting into chickens and have a coop setup but am waiting for a contractor to give me quote on a 'Fort Knox' kind of chicken run. So, no chickens yet but am heading that direction! I just have to make sure I have all my ducks..er..chickens in a row before purchasing them! It's so hard to wait. [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG] And good luck with your future chickens!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Glad you joined!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. Emsanon

Sep 4, 2014
    Thank you both. [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm glad to hear you're going to build it like Fort Knox. You likely already know this, but be sure your contractor uses hardware cloth and not chicken wire or even chainlink (unless it's covered by hardware cloth). Hardware cloth is strong enough to get predators from tearing through it and has small enough openings to keep smaller predators from squeezing through it. It's more expensive than chicken wire, but cheaper than replacing your flock. Hardware cloth has saved many chicken owners a lot of tears. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built and getting your flock.

8. Emsanon

Sep 4, 2014
    Thank you for the tips!! I will take any chicken raising/protecting tip since I'm new. I've been doing tons of research on good chicken run designs. I'm planning on something approx. 6' high so I can walk in to clean, 100% hardware cloth with 1/4" openings. The hardware cloth is going to extend into the ground no less than 12" and hopefully, they can get it to turn outwards as well. And I'm going to toss a roof on the run. The coop will be located inside the run vs having the run connected to the coop with the coop being on the outside. I just bought 4 predator guards as well to place in all 4 directions around the run. Maybe a little solar flood light as well. I don't have that yet. Hmmm... Trying to make it predator resistant has been fun. [​IMG]

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Sounds like you have though this out well, and that your coop and run will be very predator proof. :eek:)

10. Emsanon

Sep 4, 2014
    I'm just borrowing ideas from the research on how others have built there coops and what seems to be the safest way to go. I want to have a 'pet' flock so don't want them to die because I was careless. I will always try to protect my pets to the best of my knowledge..or my research knowledge. HAHA! That's why I will never turn down tip and help! That's how I learn! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by