Heelllppp!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gvnam, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    I found something on my chicks stomach right below it's vent that looked like it would be dried poop. After closer inspection I realized it was dried blood!!? This makes no earthly sense to me. Do they have umbilical cords or something attached to it or something? It isn't long or anything, it is just a clump of dried blood on it...

HELP!!!

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Do not touch it...that is the chick's umbilicus and you can do damage if you remove the scab. Just leave it alone, it will heal and all will be well [​IMG] Relax and enjoy your baby [​IMG]

3. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    [​IMG] thank god. I was getting a little worried there...

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yup, baby chicks have bellybuttons too! What you describe is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

5. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    Also, some of them hang their wings out. They don't drag them on the ground, just keep them away from their body. They seem content with the temp at 90 though. I can't figure it out... Are they just stretching? Maybe cooling down a little.

6. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    that sounds like they may be too warm, does their area have a cool zone were they can get away from the heat source? Hold your hand in there, if it starts to feel uncomfortable or hot, move the lamp up a bit.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:cooling down a bit, perfectly normal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by