HEELLLPPPPP!

krobi

Hatching
May 1, 2017
This was about 100ft away from my ducks nest. Is Sandra (mom duck) freaking out about an egg/eggs hatching and trying to get rid of it?! Idk if I should take the rest of her eggs out of the nest when she gets up!!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, Is it possible this little duckling was still alive?! It wasn't moving for about 10 minutes. Does that mean it's dead or do they not move a lot?

This was about 100ft away from my ducks nest. Is Sandra (mom duck) freaking out about an egg/eggs hatching and trying to get rid of it?! Idk if I should take the rest of her eggs out of the nest when she gets up!!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, Is it possible this little duckling was still alive?! It wasn't moving for about 10 minutes. Does that mean it's dead or do they not move a lot?

Sorry to say, it looks dead. :/

Could any predators have gotten at the eggs?

Last edited:
What duck breed is Sandra?

Is this her first brood?

Besides this, I cannot tell how long the duckling has been like that. From what I see, the duckling was either alive then killed or was dead, so she removed him. I don't see any clear vein development, and everything appears to be ruptured.

She is a mallard. She has nested before sporadically but this is the first time she's been consistent for probably a little over a month.

If it's not breathing, then it is dead.
I had a duckling once that was pecked out of her shell by chickens -broody duck made her nest in the chicken coop- and I managed to save her, but if it's not breathing then there's nothing you can do for it. I'd check to see what's going on with the rest of the nest.

Back
Top Bottom