HEELLPP!!!!! Something is coming out of hens butt??? Graphic pic!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by baldie, Apr 15, 2009.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I just went out and saw my SS Hamburg hen acting weird, when I looked her over...this is what I found. There is white liquid oozing out and that red big ball. Help please??? I attatched a pic. It was the best I could get.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks, Chrissie

2. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    OMG I hope someone here can help! I like to find out what this stuff is in case it ever happens to me.

Good luck, I hope she'll be ok.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Might she have prolapse going on??? [​IMG] Maybe other forum members with a lot more experience than I will chime in & help you. Hope your girl gets better! [​IMG]

4. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    How old is she?? Has she been eating and drinking and pooing??????? Is she listless? So sorry Chrissie...Hope she gets better.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    It's a prolapse. I have no clue if there is anything you can do for it but you might search the emergency section for prolapse and find something. [​IMG] Hope it turns out ok. [​IMG]

6. Eduardo

Eduardo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    I'm not an expert but something that looked that like that was happening to my geese, it turned out the rabbit was biting them in the butt. We put betadyne on the wound to keep it from getting infected and caged the rabbitt.

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Looks like a prolapse... Its sorta like hemmeroids in a way. I've heard of hens getting a bum like that from being egg bound and straining against it so hard that they push out parts of their insides.

Iam sure someone else would know more, but I think the only solution is to cull once the prolapse reaches a certain point.

Lucky for me I've never had said issue.

Someone else should know more!!

8. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I was just reading about prolapse and maybe you should run her bum under warm water.

9. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    CULL!! WHAT!! she is my baby!!
    She is not listless.
    She is eating and drinking.
    And I looked out the window a second ago and she is dust bathing herself.
    Would a better pic help? I could try and chase her down (free range) and get one.

10. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I am pretty sure it is Prolapse! Use hemorrhoid medicine or antibiotic ointment and gently push it back in. While doing this check to see if she has an egg stuck. You can clean her up in a warm bath. Then put her in a dark place to keep her from laying eggs. The warm bath will also help if she is eggbound.

Last month I had two hens with it, and they are fine now!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by