Heidi is leaving this week -- Sad to see her go!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chick_a_dee, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Unfortunately, we've had to give up our ewe, since we lost her friend we haven't been able to find her another, and the other day was the last straw, I can't even get her out of the stall. Anyway, I posted ads online looking for a forever home for her, ... where she won't be eaten! I got an email from someone just north of us, who has two ewes that were bottle babies and were meant for the freezer last year, but the people became very attached to them, and now are looking for a third ewe to help the other two keep the grass down on their hobby farm. Today we went to visit the farm, and LOVED it, their two sheep are very personable, come for grain, and we think it's the best place for Heidi to live. They have a massive Akbash that guards the sheep, they go in at night into their own sheep shed, have grain, and hay, etc.

Heidi leaves this week to go to her new home, she'll be picked up mid-week, the people taking her asked if we'd like, if she is indeed pregnant, the lamb back in the spring, and we've agreed. We'll also be looking for a couple bottle lambs, and they gave us the name of the farmer where they got theirs from!

2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I am sorry that your ewe is leaving, but I think it is wonderful that you love her enough to make sure she is going to a good home. It will be hard for you and her too but it is the right decision. [​IMG]

3. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    momma's chickens :

I am sorry that your ewe is leaving, but I think it is wonderful that you love her enough to make sure she is going to a good home. It will be hard for you and her too but it is the right decision. [​IMG]

Yup! Heidi will fit in perfectly with their two ewes, and hopefully will become more personable with their help. We will be looking for bottle lambs in the spring, as we think it's a better fit for us, and we'll be more prepared.​

4. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I'm sorry that you're losing your pet, but I love that you found her a great home. I bet she'll love it there!!

5. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Awwww...

it is not always easy to do whats best. Good for you! Hope her new home is everything wonderful!

6. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:The nice thing is that if she turns out to be pregnant, we will have the lamb back to raise with us. So, It'll be a little bit of Heidi!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by