Height between dropping board and roost?

GBryant890

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2016
I'm building my coop with the dropping board 2 feet above the floor. How much room do I need between the board and the roost?

Some people want a lot, some not so much. You need enough room so you can scrape it if you scrape, enough room to scoop it if you scoop. There is no magic number that is required. What’s convenient for you?

What's convenient for me? I don't know... I was planning on making the board removable so I figured a couple of inches. This is my first coop build so there's a bit of a learning curve. No such thing as a stupid question, right?

I'm building my coop with the dropping board 2 feet above the floor. How much room do I need between the board and the roost?
Poop boards should be located higher than your nest boxes an preferably the highest spot for roosting through the night.
I have my 2x4 roost 3½ inches from my poop board.

I find the spacing ideal it saves the day when eggs are laid through the night while they are roosting.

I have my roost in cups and can just put them to one side when cleaning the board.

Easy peasy!.

Chicken coop is salvaged 4x8 metal shed.

Last edited:
If you use a droppings board, figure six inches beneath the roost bars. Best to make your DB sectional, or small enough to be able to handle it "fully loaded".

No such thing as a stupid question, except the one that wasn't asked.

Howard beat me to that. The only stupid question is the one not asked. Wouldn’t you feel stupid if you hurt your birds because you were afraid to ask a total stranger something over the internet? We all have to start somewhere.

My droppings board is about a foot below the roosts. I use a short-handled garden hoe to scrape it so I have plenty of room. In one area where I don’t have a droppings board I put shallow plastic bins I got at Walmart on the floor 5 feet below roost to catch the droppings.

If you have to do extra work, say move roosts out of the way before you scrape, that’s not very convenient. If you get poop from the roosts on your arms or in your hair when you are scraping that’s kind of inconvenient. Just leave enough room for whatever method you are using to clean.

Back
Top Bottom