Height of hardware cloth?

Uniqueusername

Chirping
Sep 3, 2020
Central Mississippi
My coop/Run is going to be 6.5 ft tall. I was planning to do hardware cloth on the lower panels, and just basic poultry netting on the upper walls and roof of the run. 1) Is this enough to keep out predators or could they climb up to the poultry netting and chew through? 2) If it is ok to do a half 'n' half setup, how tall should my hardware cloth panels be? Thanks in advance for your advice! This site has been a wealth of info as I prepare for my first flock!

My friends do this, simply because they cannot find enough hardware cloth. they have the hardware cloth about 4 feet up, then chicken wire on the roof and upper walls.

My friends do this, simply because they cannot find enough hardware cloth. they have the hardware cloth about 4 feet up, then chicken wire on the roof and upper walls.
I saw a video from this site that was VERY disturbing. A raccoon climbed up the HC and was able to find a seam or weakness above. It dropped into the run and killed everything. Just awful trail cam video. Whatever you do above the HC make sure it’s more than just chicken wire.

I saw a video from this site that was VERY disturbing. A raccoon climbed up the HC and was able to find a seam or weakness above. It dropped into the run and killed everything. Just awful trail cam video. Whatever you do above the HC make sure it’s more than just chicken wire.
They've been fine for 5 years. I personally would have a different setup, but it's not my place to tell them that they're doing it wrong.

My coop/Run is going to be 6.5 ft tall. I was planning to do hardware cloth on the lower panels, and just basic poultry netting on the upper walls and roof of the run. 1) Is this enough to keep out predators or could they climb up to the poultry netting and chew through? 2) If it is ok to do a half 'n' half setup, how tall should my hardware cloth panels be? Thanks in advance for your advice! This site has been a wealth of info as I prepare for my first flock!
I would stay on the safe side and make sure whatever material you use is predator-proof. Some predators are surprisingly good climbers. Do you live in an area with a lot of predators?

Yes you could have predators climb up, rip through the chicken wire, and get in. So it really depends on your tolerance for loss if you want to use a set up like that - if you absolutely cannot stand the thought of losing a bird, get something more secure, or employ additional safeguards.

My run is even less secure in spots, but because the chicken's set up is very close to the house and I'm usually home, our human presence can somewhat offset the fact that our fencing is less secure. The chickens are of course locked in the coop at night.

Welded wire or chain link fencing over the entire pen with hard cloth over the top of that at least 3 - 4 feet up should be fine. Chicken basically just keeps chickens in or out but nothing else.

I personally have hard wire because I have a converted a dog kennel turned into a chicken coop and chicken wire over the top of that but I also have a dog in the pen beside them and 2 dogs around the property so have not had issues with out the hard cloth. Your set up has allot to do with how much protection you need.

Better be safe than sorry. I used 4 ft high hardware cloth and used wood fence panels on the upper part. I also used the same hardware cloth for roofing on part of the run.
image.jpg
51E2ED99-31DB-4573-AEF4-0DEB1180DD9A.jpeg

I’ve read it time and time again, Chicken wire is good protection FROM chickens, it does not protect the chickens.

Good Luck!

Yes you could have predators climb up, rip through the chicken wire, and get in. So it really depends on your tolerance for loss if you want to use a set up like that - if you absolutely cannot stand the thought of losing a bird, get something more secure, or employ additional safeguards.

My run is even less secure in spots, but because the chicken's set up is very close to the house and I'm usually home, our human presence can somewhat offset the fact that our fencing is less secure. The chickens are of course locked in the coop at night.
Ditto Dat.....
...and Same here.

Back
Top Bottom