Height of nipple drinkers???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by krzybo, Aug 7, 2010.

1. krzybo

krzybo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Danielsville, GA
    We are making a nipple drinker out of the PVC pipe and nipple drinkers and was wondering how high to put it? In the pictures it seems the pipe with the nipples is pretty high over the chickens heads. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. tracyrene

tracyrene Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Granite Falls
    We just put one in. We read on here 24 inches. My chickens are 5 weeks old so I put a cinder block under the nipples so they can reach it for now!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

High enough for the chickens to have to reach UP some to drink from them.

When I put up a PVC pipe with four nipples in it, I hung the pipe at a slight angle, to ensure the gravity flow fed water all the way to the end of the pipe, AND I put an upside-down dog dish below the last nipple for the younger chicks to be able to hop up there and get a drink.

But I gotta tell ya, the one I made out of a 5 gallon bucket and is set on an up-turned concrete block is in use by young chicks anyway! I had put a couple bricks beneath one of the 3 nipples because I now have bantam breeds as well.... but see what my clever GrandChick did to get a drink of water! (All on her own, too!)
    [​IMG]

4. krzybo

Mar 29, 2009
    Danielsville, GA
    Thanks.

5. krzybo

Mar 29, 2009
    Danielsville, GA
    We got it built today but some of the nipples drip. It's on the outside of the coop so it's not a big problem but we can't figure out why some of them are dripping. They are the ones from TexSupply (?), in a PVC pipe attached to a five gallon bucket. Any ideas? I will try looking up something on this site to help us.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by