height of roof for duck house, runners?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by klf73, Aug 14, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    dh is making my duck house this week, they are now residing in my screen house [​IMG] he has the size we are going to use but needs to know what the height of the roof needs to be for these runners. these are our first ducks so we are clueless..

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have runners and I designed a house that is four feet high. Reasons:

Runners can stand up to 34" tall (the tallest I have read about). Many are between two feet and 30 inches tall.

I use loads of bedding as insulation, for comfort, and for relative cleanliness (I fluff the bedding - it dehydrates the poop rather quickly). By loads, I mean a foot and a half or so. 4 - 1.5 = 2.5

Plywood comes in 4' wide sheets.

The door is two feet high.

My tallest runner turned out to be about two feet tall. But I have no drakes right now. Many runners are not show quality, which are the very tall birds, though.

I also installed last fall a plexiglass drop ceiling to help keep more heat in during cold weather. It also helps keep rain from pouring in during ripping storms. It's in three sections so I can slide one section over and let more air in during the heat of summer.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Mine is 7 feet tall so I can stand up and move around while I am working in there (and my 6'4" son can also stand up and move around in there.)

4. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I'll second that. If you can make it high enough to stand in then cleaning will be so much easier. You will thank yourself, believe me. My pen is 6 feet high. I am shorter than Oregon Blues, I think [​IMG]

If it is not possible to make it high enough for yourself to stand in, make it as high as space and materials allow. You will not regret making it taller than it needs to be for the ducks' comfort. There is cleaning and your comfort to consider too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by