Height of water nipples? Your input please.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ninabeast, May 13, 2011.

1. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Our coop is nearing completion, and I'll be installing the nipple waterers soon. My chicks are only 4 weeks old (my first), but I would like to install the nipples so they work for adult hens. I have Barred Rocks, Light Brahmas, Production Reds, and Buff Orpingtons, all full size, all hens (we hope!)

Having never had adult hens before, I'm asking you, the chicken experts:

1. At what height do you place your nipples?

2. How much space did you place between them?

3. How many hens to a nipple?

I know these will be too tall for my girls for a while, but I'd rather give them something to step up onto to get to the nipples than adjust them later.

Thanks!

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Most commercial systems are installed to be adjustable in height. Hanging from a chain works, or from cord with a slipknot.

For chicks you want them at eye level, perhaps adjusting the height weekly. By the time they are ready to lay they should be reaching slightly to get the water, lifting their breast and pecking upwards at an angle. For our 4.5 lb brown layer hens that is about 24" high. If they peck straight in, too much water ends up going on the ground, which can cause problems on an indoor installation. Outdoors you may not care.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I missed your other questions...

About one foot spacing works well. We have a nipple for every 10 birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by