Height requirement for bucket nipple waterer for 2day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Life is Good!, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Can someone please put a ruler next to their 2day old chicks to show me how high off the brooder floor I should start my bucket nipple waterer? Getting 25 Freedom Ranger chicks.

I'm inspired by an adjustable waterer (found under the DIY invention thread on the coops/run section of the forum)...but have NEVER measured my chicks before! Whoops! Ours are arriving in 11 days ([​IMG]) so I'd like to get this set up and working well before they arrive. I'd rather not drench the little ones their first morning with us! Or place it out of reach, although I suppose a little step would work if need be...

Thank you for your help!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    They're probably not going to know how to use it as soon as they arrive. I would place a dish of water for them and then hang the nipple waterer just beside the dish and low enough that they can run into it with their heads. They figure it out fast and once one chick does it.... it's safe to remove the dish.

3. randeeo

randeeo New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    I set mine at a little higher than chest level. You have to teach one how to do it, and it will teach the rest. So just press the nozzle with your finger and one (or all) will come check it out. Let it watch you a few times and then it will try it by itself. I've been using the waterer since I got mine at 4 days old. And they might drench themselves, they're like kids and play. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by