1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. lisa920

lisa920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    Virginia
    How high does a coop need to be? I have 8 chickens, 4 barred rocks, 2 Orpingtons and 2 red sexlinks. The coop length and width will be 6x8.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    At that size you'll want it walk in in case you need to get to a sick bird. Even with doors on all sides it would be a pain to reach all areas.

3. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I agree, being able to walk into the coop is very convenient, for catching a roosting bird, or cleaning the poop decks. We added extra height to ours, like a chimney area, for extra ventilation.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Go Tall!!

Here's my theory on the 'stack up' aspect to coop design:
    Bottom of pop door is best about 8" above floor so bedding doesn't get dragged out of coop.
    Nice to have bottom of nests about 18" above bedding to allow use of that floor space under them(doesn't count if your nests are mounted on outside of coop).
    Roosts are best about 12" higher than nests so birds won't roost(sleep) in nests and poop in them, if you use poop boards under roosts it will also 'stretch' your floor space.
    Upper venting works best as high as possible above roosts so no strong drafts hit roosts in winter...and hot/moist air and ammonia can rise and exit coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by