1. lisa920

lisa920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    Virginia
    How high does a coop need to be? I have 8 chickens, 4 barred rocks, 2 Orpingtons and 2 red sex-links. My coop will be 8x6, just not sure about how high to go.

2. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    This is a fully enclosed coop that is that size, or small coop with run that is that size overall?

If that is full size, you want it high enough you can enter and walk around on the inside while standing upright and not bent over. Normally that will mean at least 7 to 8 feet in the front or highest point and can be lower in the back. Most roofs will slope front to back and in northern climates, the front faces south to get the most light from winter sun and to protect the open front from cold north winds.

If a small coop with run that size, you still want the run that high so you can enter and still want the same orientation facing south.

A small coop can be elevated above part of the run, but the interior still needs to be high enough the nest boxes are a foot or more above the floor the birds walk on and roost bars a foot or so above the tops of the nest boxes and still allow a foot or so above the top of the roosts for headroom and ventilation to let heat and moist air out. Hard to do a good workable coop that is not at least 4 feet high.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Walk -in is best, and a large as you can afford. 'Chicken math' is REAL. Mary

4. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016
    My Orpiington's enclosure is only 40 inches high, and I don't find it a terrible hardship to move around in it (I'm 5'5"). It allows for some elevated roosts and I can toss mealworms right into the middle of the run with ease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by