1. pittsbirder

pittsbirder Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    as a rough estimate how high should the inside of a coop be? I'm building a 6 x 3 coop for 3 birds. is 3 ft high enough? and the run is completely underneath the coop how high should the run be? or wld it be better to keep the coop to the side and have the run higher? i was thinking more ground space wld be better but I'm new at this. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I recommend making the coop high enough for you to go into - it makes cleaning a ton easier! Chickens like to perch, so keep that in mind. Maybe 4-5 feet. I would think 3' would work, their perch will just be lower. I just have no clue how you would clean out such a low, but long, coop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    my coop is raised and i enjoy it the underneath stays dry so thats where my chickens dustbath or hang out in poor weather. My coop is 3 ft on the back side and 4 ft tall in the front. Another good thing about a raised coop is that i can put the wheelbarrel at my door and rake in the old shavings.

4. pittsbirder

pittsbirder Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    my plan was have it about 2.5 or 3 ft off the ground and have barn doors swing open and floor wld be at my thights. im only 5 ft7. and have the coop 3 foot high and that should be easy for a shorty like me.

5. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Finished this one today the big door on the back makes it easy to clean out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The legs are 2 foot

6. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

ditto

7. BethChick78

BethChick78 Out Of The Brooder

Hi, mine is 3ft off the ground and the coop 4ft high. The hatch/door is also my thigh height. I find cleaning no problem as I made the door completely removable so I can just lean in and do what needs to be done. I'm new to this too so after the first proper clean out after week one, I brought in a removable tray for under the roost which made cleaning out even easier. I used a lipped door mat. Works a treat.
    Hope that helped!
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by