Heirloom Seeds

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Feb 5, 2009.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    What are heirloom seeds, and what are the advantages of them over just regular seeds?

Is there anything wrong with just using regular seeds?

[​IMG]

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Heirloom seeds are old vintage varieties that can produce seeds that will come back truw to type year after year, non hybrid [​IMG]

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Quote:Exactly. What you plant is what you'll get, unlike hybrids. If you plant hybrid seeds you'll get plants that are one parent or the other. With heirlooms, you'll get the same fruit year after year.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    also they are usually tastier but do not travel well. Therefore you will usually not see them in the stores but in farmers markets. I grow them almost exclusively.

5. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    So, if I just plan to grow and eat the plants this year, and not collect the seeds, it shouldn't matter?

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yep but once you do that you may want to try saving them so you dont have to buy them the next year. but if you are never gonna save seeds then just order what ever you like [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Once again, I have learned something new from you intelligent folks!

8. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    I think heirloom plants are usually tastier and more interesting than the hybrid varieties. The tomatoes are especially wonderful. They don't produce quite as many fruits, and are more susceptible to diseases, but the ones you get sure are good.

9. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    I think I will go back to creoles and better boys this year. For the last two years, I tried heirlooms such as black krims and cherokee purples. The fruit is absolutely exquisite, but production is terrible, and the plants need constant attention. The cherokees want to run on the ground even when staked. Also, I found that about 75% of the ones you do produce rot on the vine before ripe. I could probaly make 10 times the creoles in the same amount of space.

10. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Where can you buy these? Sounds like fun to grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by